"By experience we find out a short way by a long wandering."
--Roger Ascham

5.02.2009

Like mixing oil and water: a review of Chemistry.com

Dating is tough. Especially where I live, so I turn to my friend the internet to make torture a tad less torturous.

I shelled out close to $100 for three months of Chemistry.com. The way it works, you take a bunch of tests and then get assessed a personality type, like builder or whatever. Since I hate contacting strangers randomly, I was hooked in by the site sending you matches and the "guided communication process." You can join for free, but you can't communicate with people unless you fork over the megabucks.

Each day, you get 5-10 matches. Even though you set your preferences, you receive a lot of people who don't fall into that. And Chemistry also sneaks in peole from Match.com too. For each person, you either say yes or no. The no button was certainly getting a lot of use from me.

For three months on the site, I communicated with less than ten guys and met only two. Those kinds of figures are disheartening. Also disheartening are men who seem to vanish randomly. Gee thanks. If interest is mutual, you can send your "relationship essentials" (how you rate aspects such as being neat, open, liking pets, and so forth) to review. If that's acceptable, you send the other person questions, and he answers, and you answer his questions. If those are a go, then you can exchange messages.

The people I met
Boy 1 was nice, but we didn't really click. It was okay talking to him, and I could see him as maybe a friend, but when I never heard back, I can't say I was too crushed.
Boy 2 was much better, and I thought he had much potential. He expressed interest in hanging out again and said he would message or call me, and natch, I never heard from him again, and his profile disappeared into thin air. That's lovely.

All in all, it started off promising, but then it fizzled out.

I'm going to try a new avenue and will report on that in the future.

No comments: